I would like to present my hand painted oil on canvas painting (recreation) of the artwork SICILY — MESSINA 1. I made this piece with the same amount of soul and emotion just like the first original painting. This piece is created with oil paint on artistic canvas using my unique technique of a palette knife. The artwork has texture, you can feel the strokes by touching the painting. By purchasing on this site, you are buying directly from the artist Leonid Afremov. I guarantee your satisfaction and the best customer experience.
The certificate of authenticity will include the name of the owner who purchased the piece of artwork. The certificate is signed by Leonid Afremov. If you buying this painting as a gift, please provide us the name of the gift recipient for the certificate. We can also ship to the address of the recipient of your gift.
about this painting:
This beautiful seascape is the final chapter of one summer day’s story that nears its end. Messina at sunset appears on the canvas by Leonid Afremov in all its glory. One of the largest Italian cities located on the island of Sicily, it was founded by ancient Greeks who named it Zancle which means “scythe”. Scythe is a form of its natural harbor that you can see in the painting. The city is famous for its sea ports and shipyards, cruise tourism and amazing views. However, among the entire variety of its sights, the artist chose to show us a quite evening harbor touched by the soft glow of the sunset, the dark silhouettes of boats at rest and vague contours of distant buildings. Revived by colorful strokes of oil paints, these ordinary pieces of common maritime locality form a breathtaking panorama that will look great on your wall.
The image of Messina, lit by marvelous sunset colors, radiates tranquility and romanticism. Viewers are left along with the pure beauty of the sea. Lulled by the rising tide, the vessels nap in their nests, black and silent like their own shadows. The scenery gradually loses its outlines, softened by the thickening dusk. All colors of the world seem to be absorbed by the evening sky and this divine image is reflected in the water mirror of the harbor. In the distance, you can trace the blurred shape of the city drifting away into the open sea, further and further until it’s completely out of sight. It is like a wonderful date that can’t be interrupted under any circumstances by a harsh sound, sudden change of weather or presence of other people. You are free to plunge into the magical palette of the picture and admire its incredible atmosphere.
Oil painting techniques
If you are interested in fine art and want to learn painting like Leonid Afremov, these oil painting techniques can be your sheet anchor.
- Create instant background by applying diluted paint in light, short strokes.
- For a transparency effect, apply opaque tones over transparent ones.
- Paint thick over lean and dark over light. Wait until the paint is completely dry before create the next layer.
- Create contrasts to add depth to your work. Pay close attention to highlights and shadows.
- Imitate aerial perspective by switching from warm and light to dark and cold shades as you move from the foreground into the background.
- The volume and shape of objects strongly depend on the size of brush strokes.
- Apply dots of paint with the very tip of the brush or cover the canvas with informal strokes altering their size, angle and intensity.