How To Judge a Painting If You're Not an Expert
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2026 12:35 pm
# How To Judge a Painting If You're Not an Expert?
People ask me this question all the time.
"Dmitry, how can I tell if a painting is good?"
Honestly?
You can't.
And neither can most experts.
That will probably be the shortest article I've ever written.
Because art is one of the most subjective things in the world.
If you like a painting, then you like it.
If you don't like it, then you don't like it.
It's really that simple.
You don't need a degree in art history.
You don't need to understand:
* Impressionism,
* Cubism,
* Fauvism,
* Modernism,
* Abstract Expressionism,
or any other complicated art movement.
You don't need to know whether the artist studied at an academy, won awards, or appeared in famous galleries.
The only question that matters is:
**Do you enjoy looking at it?**
Because you're the one who will live with that painting.
Not the critic.
Not the gallery owner.
Not the art professor.
You.
Every day.
In your home.
In your office.
In your bedroom.
In your living room.
If the painting makes you smile, relax, think, remember something, or simply makes the room feel better, then it has already done its job.
That's all art really needs to do.
I've met people who own paintings worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and don't even like them.
They keep them because they're valuable.
Because they're famous.
Because other people are impressed.
Personally, I don't understand that.
I'd rather own a painting I genuinely love than a masterpiece I don't enjoy looking at.
Art is not a school exam.
There are no correct answers.
There is no universal formula.
There is no committee somewhere deciding what every person should feel.
If a painting speaks to you, that's enough.
And if it doesn't, that's fine too.
Move on and find one that does.
In the end, the best art expert for your home is not a critic, a gallery, or an auction house.
It's you.
People ask me this question all the time.
"Dmitry, how can I tell if a painting is good?"
Honestly?
You can't.
And neither can most experts.
That will probably be the shortest article I've ever written.
Because art is one of the most subjective things in the world.
If you like a painting, then you like it.
If you don't like it, then you don't like it.
It's really that simple.
You don't need a degree in art history.
You don't need to understand:
* Impressionism,
* Cubism,
* Fauvism,
* Modernism,
* Abstract Expressionism,
or any other complicated art movement.
You don't need to know whether the artist studied at an academy, won awards, or appeared in famous galleries.
The only question that matters is:
**Do you enjoy looking at it?**
Because you're the one who will live with that painting.
Not the critic.
Not the gallery owner.
Not the art professor.
You.
Every day.
In your home.
In your office.
In your bedroom.
In your living room.
If the painting makes you smile, relax, think, remember something, or simply makes the room feel better, then it has already done its job.
That's all art really needs to do.
I've met people who own paintings worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and don't even like them.
They keep them because they're valuable.
Because they're famous.
Because other people are impressed.
Personally, I don't understand that.
I'd rather own a painting I genuinely love than a masterpiece I don't enjoy looking at.
Art is not a school exam.
There are no correct answers.
There is no universal formula.
There is no committee somewhere deciding what every person should feel.
If a painting speaks to you, that's enough.
And if it doesn't, that's fine too.
Move on and find one that does.
In the end, the best art expert for your home is not a critic, a gallery, or an auction house.
It's you.