The Value of Art — And Why Paintings Don’t Have a Fixed Price
Posted: Thu May 28, 2026 10:32 am
# The Value of Art — And Why Paintings Don’t Have a Fixed Price
An interesting question.
What is art really worth?
And honestly, I still don’t think there’s a clear answer.
For decades people have argued about art as if it were something absolute. Especially in the Soviet Union, where phrases like:
“Art belongs to the people”
or
“Art should not be sold”
were very popular.
It sounds beautiful.
But reality is much more complicated.
Personally, I’ve never believed that art has one universal definition or one “correct” price.
For me, art is deeply personal.
You hang a painting in your home and look at it every day — then for you, that painting becomes valuable.
Another person may walk into the same room and say:
“I don’t like it at all.”
And that’s normal too.
Because art is emotional.
Not mathematical.
There is no exact formula that determines whether something is a masterpiece or just decoration. For one person, a painting may become part of their life, their memories, or their family story. For another person, it may mean absolutely nothing.
And honestly, I think that’s perfectly fine.
---
# The Art Market and the Real World
There is a huge global art industry built around galleries, auctions, collectors, museums, and investment discussions.
A lot of money moves through that world.
And naturally, galleries and auction houses often play a major role in building the reputation and market value of artists. Some artists become heavily promoted by galleries, critics, collectors, or media attention. Sometimes an artist’s popularity grows because the public genuinely connects with the work. Other times, the market itself creates a large amount of hype around certain names and styles.
That has existed for a very long time.
But personally, I was never deeply interested in that side of the art world.
I’ve always believed something much simpler.
The real value of a painting is determined by the person who buys it.
If somebody buys a painting for $300 and loves it for the next 20 years, then for them that artwork was absolutely worth those $300.
If another collector is willing to pay $3,000 for a painting because it emotionally moves them — then for that person, the value is $3,000.
Art is emotional value.
Not fixed value.
---
# Why I Don’t Really See Paintings as Investments
A lot of people like to talk about “investing in art.”
Maybe sometimes that works.
But personally, after spending my entire life selling paintings online, I see art very differently.
A painting is not a stock.
It’s not real estate.
It’s not something you can instantly buy and instantly resell tomorrow morning.
Most paintings are bought because people want to live with them.
They want:
* atmosphere,
* color,
* emotion,
* beauty,
* memories,
* comfort.
That’s the real reason most people buy art.
And honestly, I think there’s something beautiful about that.
Because paintings become part of people’s homes and lives.
Sometimes customers wrote to us years later saying:
“This painting stayed with us through marriage, children, moving to another country, or difficult moments in life.”
To me, that matters far more than auction prices.
---
# The Internet Changed the Art World
The internet changed art dramatically.
Years ago, galleries controlled almost everything.
Today artists can sell directly online:
through websites,
social media,
marketplaces,
forums,
and communities.
And honestly, I think that’s a good thing.
Because it gives ordinary people access to art without needing to walk into intimidating luxury galleries.
Not every painting needs to become a museum object.
Sometimes a painting simply needs to make somebody feel something.
And that alone already gives it value.
---
# So How Much Is Art Worth?
Personally?
I think art is worth exactly what another human being is willing to emotionally exchange for it.
No more.
No less.
There is no universal price.
There is no absolute authority deciding what every painting should cost.
There are only people,
emotion,
taste,
memory,
and connection.
And maybe that’s exactly what makes art interesting in the first place.
An interesting question.
What is art really worth?
And honestly, I still don’t think there’s a clear answer.
For decades people have argued about art as if it were something absolute. Especially in the Soviet Union, where phrases like:
“Art belongs to the people”
or
“Art should not be sold”
were very popular.
It sounds beautiful.
But reality is much more complicated.
Personally, I’ve never believed that art has one universal definition or one “correct” price.
For me, art is deeply personal.
You hang a painting in your home and look at it every day — then for you, that painting becomes valuable.
Another person may walk into the same room and say:
“I don’t like it at all.”
And that’s normal too.
Because art is emotional.
Not mathematical.
There is no exact formula that determines whether something is a masterpiece or just decoration. For one person, a painting may become part of their life, their memories, or their family story. For another person, it may mean absolutely nothing.
And honestly, I think that’s perfectly fine.
---
# The Art Market and the Real World
There is a huge global art industry built around galleries, auctions, collectors, museums, and investment discussions.
A lot of money moves through that world.
And naturally, galleries and auction houses often play a major role in building the reputation and market value of artists. Some artists become heavily promoted by galleries, critics, collectors, or media attention. Sometimes an artist’s popularity grows because the public genuinely connects with the work. Other times, the market itself creates a large amount of hype around certain names and styles.
That has existed for a very long time.
But personally, I was never deeply interested in that side of the art world.
I’ve always believed something much simpler.
The real value of a painting is determined by the person who buys it.
If somebody buys a painting for $300 and loves it for the next 20 years, then for them that artwork was absolutely worth those $300.
If another collector is willing to pay $3,000 for a painting because it emotionally moves them — then for that person, the value is $3,000.
Art is emotional value.
Not fixed value.
---
# Why I Don’t Really See Paintings as Investments
A lot of people like to talk about “investing in art.”
Maybe sometimes that works.
But personally, after spending my entire life selling paintings online, I see art very differently.
A painting is not a stock.
It’s not real estate.
It’s not something you can instantly buy and instantly resell tomorrow morning.
Most paintings are bought because people want to live with them.
They want:
* atmosphere,
* color,
* emotion,
* beauty,
* memories,
* comfort.
That’s the real reason most people buy art.
And honestly, I think there’s something beautiful about that.
Because paintings become part of people’s homes and lives.
Sometimes customers wrote to us years later saying:
“This painting stayed with us through marriage, children, moving to another country, or difficult moments in life.”
To me, that matters far more than auction prices.
---
# The Internet Changed the Art World
The internet changed art dramatically.
Years ago, galleries controlled almost everything.
Today artists can sell directly online:
through websites,
social media,
marketplaces,
forums,
and communities.
And honestly, I think that’s a good thing.
Because it gives ordinary people access to art without needing to walk into intimidating luxury galleries.
Not every painting needs to become a museum object.
Sometimes a painting simply needs to make somebody feel something.
And that alone already gives it value.
---
# So How Much Is Art Worth?
Personally?
I think art is worth exactly what another human being is willing to emotionally exchange for it.
No more.
No less.
There is no universal price.
There is no absolute authority deciding what every painting should cost.
There are only people,
emotion,
taste,
memory,
and connection.
And maybe that’s exactly what makes art interesting in the first place.