Well.
The next topic is probably going to sound ancient to some people.
Maybe talking about selling paintings offline today is like explaining how landline telephones worked.
My kids have never even seen a real wired phone.
Their kids will probably think dinosaurs used them.
My youngest daughter once tried to swipe a paper magazine with her finger like it was an iPad.
That’s the world now.
But here’s the funny thing:
Before the internet, selling paintings offline was a completely real business.
And honestly?
A very good business.
---
# I Was Making $1,000 a Day Selling Paintings
And I’m talking about:
30… maybe even 35 years ago.
Back then that was serious money.
So let me tell you how people actually sold paintings before:
* Facebook,
* Instagram,
* Etsy,
* Shopify,
* AI,
* and all this online madness.
---
# My First Sales Job — Door to Door
I was 13 years old.
My father painted.
I sold.
That was our business.
Dad was basically security.
I was the salesman.
We’d put paintings into bags and go door to door.
---
# New Buildings Were the Best
We usually targeted:
* new apartment buildings,
* new condominiums,
* places where people had empty walls.
And we literally knocked on doors.
Knock knock.
“Hello, I sell paintings.
Beautiful paintings.
Looking is free.”
The goal was simple:
get inside the apartment.
Because once people let you in,
the ice was broken.
And suddenly they started buying.
---
# Sometimes I Used the “Water Trick”
If people didn’t want to let me inside, I’d say:
> “Could I at least have a glass of water?”
They’d give me water.
Then I’d look around and say:
> “Wow… your walls look so empty without paintings.”
And somehow…
we sold paintings.
---
# People Still Buy Emotionally Offline
That’s the interesting part.
The internet is amazing:
* easier,
* faster,
* global.
But people still buy emotionally face to face.
Especially art.
Because art is emotional.
---
# Competition Was Brutal Back Then
Back in the day,
door-to-door painting sellers were everywhere.
Sometimes people opened the door and said:
> “You’re the sixth painting seller today.
> Go away.”
But today?
Almost nobody sells like that anymore.
Everybody moved online.
And that actually created opportunity again.
---
# Community Exhibitions Work Shockingly Well Today
I have a friend who still sells paintings offline.
And honestly?
At first I laughed at him.
I said:
> “Who buys paintings offline anymore?”
Turns out —
a lot of people do.
---
# How He Does It
He works through residential communities.
Every community has:
* a manager,
* a supervisor,
* a president,
* an HOA.
He contacts them and says:
> “Let’s organize an art exhibition.”
The community sends a message to residents:
> “Art exhibition tomorrow at 6 PM.”
They come,
hang the paintings,
people walk around,
talk,
drink wine,
buy art.
Simple.
---
# And It Actually Works
I watched him do this inside my own community.
Everybody already knew I sold paintings online.
And still —
he sold 50 paintings in one evening.
Yes, pricing was flexible.
But he made very good money.
Real money.
---
# Don’t Be Shy
This is probably the most important thing.
Shyness kills business.
Artists are often shy.
That’s normal.
Artists create.
Not everybody can sell.
That’s why artists need somebody:
* a husband,
* a wife,
* a friend,
* a son,
* a partner,
* somebody outgoing.
One person creates.
Another person sells.
That combination is extremely powerful.
---
# Three Exhibitions a Month Can Change Your Life
Honestly?
If you organize:
* 2–3 community exhibitions per month,
* plus some online sales,
you can absolutely survive as an artist.
Maybe even live very well.
---
# Old-School Selling Is Coming Back
And this is the funny part.
Things that stopped working after:
* eBay,
* Amazon,
* online marketplaces,
are slowly returning again.
Why?
Because people are tired of screens.
People want:
* experiences,
* conversations,
* real interaction.
---
# Home Art Shows Still Work
Here’s another old-school method.
Private home exhibitions.
Very simple:
* somebody invites friends,
* you bring paintings,
* people drink wine,
* you show art,
* somebody buys.
This still works.
It always worked.
And honestly?
It probably always will.
Because humans are social creatures.
---
# Don’t Be Afraid to Experiment
Yes, people today are more closed off.
Nobody really lets strangers into homes anymore.
But communities?
Events?
Private exhibitions?
Those still work beautifully.
And the best part?
There’s much less competition now.
---
# I’ve Been Selling Paintings Since I Was 13
I’m almost 49 now.
So basically my entire life,
all I’ve done is sell paintings.
Nothing else.
And after all these years,
I can honestly tell you:
People still buy from people.
Not just websites.
---
Hopefully this article helps somebody.
And in the comments,
tell me:
how do you sell paintings today?
Or how would you do it?
This is Dmitry Afremov.
How to Sell Paintings Without the Internet
-
Dmitry-Afremov
- Site Admin
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sun May 24, 2026 1:50 pm
-
RustyTrail77
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:18 am
Re: How to Sell Paintings Without the Internet
Don’t teach me how to sell paintings, I can teach you. Seriously though, this is a great reminder that art sales are still about people, emotion, and real human connection. Online is powerful, but face-to-face selling will never fully disappear
-
RedBarnChris
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:30 am
Re: How to Sell Paintings Without the Internet
Always inspiring.
-
AmberFields
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:22 am
Re: How to Sell Paintings Without the Internet
This is a really refreshing reminder that selling art has always been about human connection, not just platforms or algorithms. The offline approach you describe feels surprisingly relevant today because people are clearly getting tired of purely digital interactions. There’s something powerful in bringing art back into real spaces where emotion and conversation actually drive the sale.
-
SmallTownEric
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:33 am
Re: How to Sell Paintings Without the Internet
It’s interesting to hear how paintings were sold before social media and online marketplaces took over. I think a lot of artists underestimate how powerful in-person connections still are, especially when people can experience the artwork face to face. Combining local exhibitions with an online presence seems like a smart approach today since art has always been, and probably always will be, an emotional purchase.
-
QuietHarbor22
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:13 am
Re: How to Sell Paintings Without the Internet
Not gonna lie, some of this feels pretty nostalgic and a bit exaggerated, like the door-to-door painting days sound more like a story than a repeatable model in today’s market. I get the point about face-to-face selling still having emotional power, but most of that seems really hard to scale now compared to online channels. By the way, I’m a young artist — could I potentially sell my paintings with you or your platform?
-
BlueJeansMike
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:14 am
Re: How to Sell Paintings Without the Internet
Not gonna lie, some of this feels pretty nostalgic and a bit exaggerated, like the door-to-door painting days sound more like a story than a repeatable model in today’s market. I get the point about face-to-face selling still having emotional power, but most of that seems really hard to scale now compared to online channels. By the way, I’m a young artist — could I potentially sell my paintings with you or your platform?