How AI and the Internet Changed Art — And Why I'm Not Afraid of It

Why I’m Not Afraid of AI in Art — Opinion of a Man Who Sold 4 Million Paintings

A personal and honest discussion about artificial intelligence, artists, oil paintings, creativity, and the future of art from Dmitry Afremov and Afremov Studio.
Dmitry-Afremov
Site Admin
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun May 24, 2026 1:50 pm

How AI and the Internet Changed Art — And Why I'm Not Afraid of It

Post by Dmitry-Afremov »

How AI and the Internet Changed Art — And Why I'm Not Afraid of It

Honestly, this might sound like a strange question, and the article that follows may feel equally unusual. Yet people keep asking me the same thing: “Is AI destroying art?”
My answer is simple: No. And I’ll tell you why.

Every article you’ are reading right now was written with the help of AI. Not because I’m lazy, but because I’m practical. If I had to sit down and manually craft 500 articles from scratch, it would probably take me five years. Instead, I speak my thoughts, experiences, stories, and opinions, and AI helps organize them into something coherent and readable. Is that cheating? Personally, I don’t think so. I see it as progress and as time saving tool that can help me free my time for more productive tasks.

Humanity’s Long History of Fearing New Technology

Human beings have always been wary of change during our entire existence. When the first trains appeared, people feared them. When automobiles replaced horses, many were terrified of cars. When cameras emerged, some genuinely believed that photographs could steal your soul. Today those fears sound ridiculous, but at the time they felt very real. AI is simply the latest chapter in this recurring story.

The world is undeniably shifting. AI can already write, translate, summarize, generate ideas, create images, write software, and answer complex questions. Many professions are evolving rapidly. Some jobs will shrink or disappear entirely, while entirely new roles—ones we can’t yet imagine—will emerge. This pattern of disruption and renewal is exactly how technological progress has always unfolded.

What Does This Mean for Artists?

This is where the conversation becomes truly fascinating. Many people tell me, “AI will replace artists.” Will it replace some? Possibly. But not all. Artists do far more than paint pictures or produce visuals. They create emotion, meaning, and human connection—qualities that go well beyond technical skill.

Let’s be honest: AI is already generating beautiful images. Some are stunning, and many surpass what a large number of human artists produce. That’s simply reality, whether we like it or not. Today, artists often use AI to brainstorm concepts and then refine them manually with traditional techniques. Tomorrow, machines may physically paint with brush strokes that imitate oil, acrylic, or watercolor so convincingly that most viewers won’t notice the difference.

Here are examples of different AI generated images based on different mediums:
AI2.jpg
AI2.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
AI!.jpeg
AI!.jpeg (167.87 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
The Missing Human Element

Yet something essential remains absent. The real question isn’t whether AI can create beautiful images—the answer is clearly yes. The deeper question is: Can AI create something deeply human?

In my lifetime, I’ve encountered thousands of artists. Many painted professionally and beautifully, but only a few produced work that felt truly alive—work where you could sense a real human being reaching out through the canvas. Leonid Afremov, Van Gogh, and Marc Chagall come to mind. Whether or not you personally love their style, their paintings carry an unmistakable emotional resonance, as if the artist is speaking directly to you.

Here are examples of some originals of Afremov studio that we consider that leak this element
original painting 4.jpeg
original painting 4.jpeg (196.86 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
simple painting based on AI.jpeg
simple painting based on AI.jpeg (126.43 KiB) Viewed 6796 times



Why I’m Not Afraid

This is precisely why I’m not afraid of AI. Yes, the technology will improve dramatically. It will generate images, videos, and paintings of astonishing quality. Artists who rely solely on technical mastery may face challenges. But those who infuse their work with something uniquely human—personal stories, raw emotion, authentic perspective—will not only survive but become even more valuable. In a world overflowing with perfect artificial content, genuine human expression will grow rarer. And rare things tend to become more precious.

Here are pictures of some original by Afremov studio that look very alive.
11.jpg
11.jpg (170.59 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
original painting.jpg
original painting.jpg (181.61 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
The Future Belongs to Artists Who Embrace the Tools

I don’t believe the future belongs exclusively to AI, nor exclusively to traditional artists. Instead, it belongs to artists who learn to use AI as a powerful new instrument, just as previous generations embraced photography, computers, Photoshop, digital tools, and the internet. AI is simply another tool—a remarkably advanced one, but still a tool. Tools have never been the enemy. The real question has always been what people choose to do with them.

The artists who understand this will not only adapt—they will thrive. And that future excites me far more than it frightens me.

Here you can see a video that we made about artists and AI

SundayDriver
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:34 am

Re: How AI and the Internet Changed Art — And Why I'm Not Afraid of It

Post by SundayDriver »

Great read. I agree that AI is a tool, not a replacement for genuine creativity, and artists who learn how to use new technology will probably have more opportunities, not fewer. At the end of the day, people still connect most deeply with work that carries real human experience and emotion behind it.
RiverStoneJack
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:25 am

Re: How AI and the Internet Changed Art — And Why I'm Not Afraid of It

Post by RiverStoneJack »

Interesting read, but it feels a bit easy for someone running a large art business to say artists shouldn't worry about AI. From your position, AI may look like just another tool, but for many independent artists it's also direct competition. I also wonder if relying on AI to write articles about creativity and artistic expression weakens the very argument that human perspective is what makes art special.
OldTownWalker
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:24 am

Re: How AI and the Internet Changed Art — And Why I'm Not Afraid of It

Post by OldTownWalker »

I agree that AI works best as a tool rather than a replacement, especially when artists use it to develop ideas while still bringing their own experiences and emotions into the final work. The real challenge for artists today isn't whether to use AI, but how to use it in a way that preserves authenticity and originality.
BackroadsLeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri May 29, 2026 9:36 am

Re: How AI and the Internet Changed Art — And Why I'm Not Afraid of It

Post by BackroadsLeo »

thoughtful and balanced reflection on afremov’s legacy
Post Reply

Return to “AI and Art: Evolution or the Death of Creativity?”